Thursday 22 November 2012

Fresh Tomato Pasta


I know for most of my readers it is the day after Thanksgiving, and I hope you all had a great holiday. I do not celebrate Thanksgiving, not being American, but yesterday we did celebrate my Mum's birthday with a large, delicious family meal.

So in the spirit of both Thanksgiving and my Mum's birthday, I want to take a moment to thank her. She is an amazing mother, has always supported me even if she has not understood why I want to do things, and has always made sure I believe in my own abilities. Leaving home, going to university, doing something with my life - these were always a given for me. Not just because she worked hard to provide me with those opportunities but because she encouraged me to do those things. I always thought I would leave home young, go to uni and live my own life and Mum has always supported that. And she has always supported my want to write - which is not easy to accept. It's hard to make something of yourself when it comes to being a writer, buy Mum has always told me I can do it. And I appreciate that, Mum. Thanks.


Now, onto today's food. I have been waiting to share this with you for ages. I want to make it for my family next week with the amazing fresh tomatoes grown by my grandparents. I love this pasta so much. It is a weekly meal for me now.

This is such an amazing pasta - so simple, so easy and so delicious. I never realised how little effort was required to make such a delicious tomato sauce for pasta. I have to admit, my Mum and Nonna's pasta sauces are still my favourite, but for a quick weeknight meal this is very simple. If you are rushing home after a long day, within 30 minutes you can have an amazing meal on the table that everyone will enjoy.

You can taste the basil and garlic in the background of the sauce, but the tomato is the standout of this dish. Fresh, soft and juicy; it practically falls apart in your mouth. Combine these flavours with the sharp cheddar cheese, which has gently melted into the pasta, and you have a winner. I really can't explain this dish any better than that - you just have to try it to see for yourself.


Level of Difficulty: This is so easy. Who knew such a fresh, delicious tomato sauce would take so little time?
Average Cost: Very cheap!
Main Ingredients: tomatoes, whole wheat pasta
Occasion: Dinner and an easy, Sunday lunch
Menu Options: You can definitely add more or less tomatoes based on your personal love of tomatoes. You could change the cheese to mozzarella or parmesan, or add more cheese. Again, this is such a basic recipe you can do whatever you please to make it your own.
Adapted (just barely) from: Kitchen Confidante. This beautiful dish is not my brainchild. I made very small changes to the recipe but not much. The lovely Liren at Kitchen Condfidante is responsible for this. Go check her out now.

Serves 4


What you need:
500 grams whole wheat pasta (your choice of type, though spaghetti or angel hair probably works best here)
4 tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, crushed
5-6 tomatoes, cut into eighths, tops cut off
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp basil
2 tbsp oil
½ cup cheddar cheese
1 tsp lemon juice
Parmesan cheese, to serve

What to do:
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boil. Add in the pasta and cook according to package directions. Personally, I like my pasta to be soft, so it takes around 15-20 minutes.

Over medium-high heat, add the oil and garlic to a large frypan. When the garlic is golden add the tomatoes, salt, black pepper, basil and oil and mix well.

When the tomato mixture has started to boil and the tomatoes are starting to break up, lower the heat to medium and allow the mixture to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes. The tomatoes should become very soft and break apart and a chunky, red sauce should form. This is when you know the sauce is complete.

Drain the pasta completely and while in its saucepan, add the tomato sauce, cheese and lemon juice. Mix well so the cheese melts into the pasta. When the pasta is sufficiently coated in sauce, serve warm, topped with parmesan cheese.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful shout out to your mom. She truly is lucky to have such a wonderful & warm-hearted daughter xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie :) I loved your Thanksgiving post - it was beautiful!

      Delete
  2. YUM! I know my whole family would like this!

    ReplyDelete