Sunday 28 October 2012

Non-traditional Oatmeal Cookies


Another Monday.

I actually had a fantastic weekend so this Monday was especially hard. I shouldn't complain, I've officially finished uni for the year and am now on my final lot of summer holidays before I graduate. My Mum came down this weekend to see Matchbox 20 and INXS (her two favourite bands) play in Brisbane and I went with her. It was actually a really great night and I had tons of fun with my Mum. I actually don't mind Matchbox 20 so it was great to see them live. I now have bruises on the back of my calves from where I kept hitting my seat when I was dancing.


Here is the remainder of the A-Z quiz I started the other day:

K is for kids:
Hahahaha, I'm 19. And without a boyfriend. So, no, no current plans.
L is for current location:
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. My favourite Australian city. I love it here. 
M is for the most recent way you spent money:
I bought Chobani, kiwi fruit and cashews today. Random.
N is for something you need:
Money would be nice. If someone wanted to pay for my groceries I'd sure appreciate it.
O is for occupation:
Full time student. Only for another year though.
P is for pet peeve:
Oh, I have a lot. I hate it when people take up sidewalks! When entire groups of people block paths and no one can get past. My family does it all the time and I pretty much cry when they do. I really, really hate it. I can't even explain it.
Q is for a quote:
I have two favourite ones: "Everything will be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not yet the end" and "Some people dance in the rain, other's just get wet".
R is for random fact about you:
I love board games. I am absolutely terrible at luck games, so I would rather be force-fed peas then forced to play Monopoly, but card games and most other games I like. I never win. The only game I ever win is Cluedo. And the Harry Potter version of it. I haven't been beaten in ages. Of course now that I have said this I will lose.
S is for favorite healthy snack:
Uhhhh, this is hard. I have two favourite snacks - popcorn and some kind of carb with peanut butter, honey and banana.
T is for favorite treat:
Hmmmm...probably anything with chocolate in it. 
U is for something that makes you unique:
Oh God, I don't know. I asked Marnie and she said my imagination. I'll take that (best compliment ever, thanks Marnie!)
V is for favorite vegetable:
Oh, potato. Definitely. So easy.
W is for today’s workout:
HIIT run on the treadmill, followed by around 8km on the bike (level 8) - legs were sufficiently dead.
X is for X-rays you’ve had: 
Several for my teeth (had braces), and a couple of ultrasounds.
Y is for yesterday’s highlight:
Having breakfast with one of my best friends, Sophie, who is just darling and sweet and I miss her terribly now that we don't have any classes together anymore. It was great to see her and I had tons of fun.
Z is for your time zone:
Australian Eastern Standard Time. One of the first people to celebrate the new year!


And now that that is done, onto the food for today!

These cookies may not be your typical oatmeal cookies, but they sure as hell taste just as great.

There is the usual cross of softness and dough that you find in an oatmeal cookie, with the slightest hint of banana and an overload of chocolate. You can't taste the peanut butter at all really, so add more if you want to. I just like to use melted peanut butter instead of more fatty oils. The dark chocolate bits are perfectly melty when the cookies are eaten warm and when eaten cold provide the perfect contrast the soft dough. 

These cookies do not spread a lot, so remember to flatten them if you prefer large, round biscuits. However they will take less time to cook then. Now, if you like fluffy, smaller cookies, just do what I said in the instructions. Also note that the dough before being baked is very thick and fluffy, and not very wet. But don't worry - the cookies are amazing!

Level of Difficulty: As easy as any other cookie
Average Cost: All ingredients you probably have already, so cheap!
Main Ingredients: banana, oatmeal, whole wheat flour
Occasion: Snack
Menu Options: You can do anything with these cookies – you can change up the amount and type of chocolate used, you can put in smarties or M&M’s, or toffee bits, or peanut butter bits. You can add more or less banana depending on how much you want to taste the banana – same with the peanut butter.

Makes 20 small-medium sized cookies


What you need:
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 egg
2 large / 3 small bananas, mashed
2 tbsp raw honey
1 tbsp applesauce
2 tbsp smooth peanut butter, melted
1 cup oats
¾ cup dark (bittersweet) chocolate chips

What to do:
In a medium bowl, combine the first three ingredients (the dry ingredients). Stir well with a wooden spoon.

In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the wet ingredients together until a thick batter has formed.

Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing with the mixer as you go. Be careful not to overmix. The batter will be very thick, but that is ok.

Then, using a wooden spoon, add in the oats until they are covered in the batter.

Add in the dark chocolate chips and stir until they are well mixed in.

Cover the bowl the dough is in with plastic wrap and chill the dough in the fridge for at least an hour.

Remove the dough and preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

Using a table spoon or cookie scoop place rounds of the dough on a baking tray (preferably one lined with baking paper). Using the back of a spoon press down the dough gently so it spreads.

Bake the cookies until the edges are starting to brown. This takes between 10 and 15 minutes. The cookies may seem a little soft when you take them out but they will harden up. You don’t want to leave the cookies in the oven until they are hard because otherwise they will be tough to chew. Also note that these cookies don’t spread too far out so if you want big cookies, flatten them a lot (but they will take longer in the oven).

Allow to cool slightly before serving.  


8 comments:

  1. those cookies are adorable! Love reading the survey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get enough of your recipes. Bec, they always sound and looks so delicious. You are brilliant in the kitchen <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you totally made my day Jessie! Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. I love survey posts, great finding out more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would probably eat the whole batch of them! How do you come up with these awesome recipes?!
    xo Emilie @ Hungry Delights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Emilie! You're so sweet :)

      Delete