Thursday 11 April 2013

The Perfect Summer Sandwich


This sandwich is my latest obsession.

I am not even joking. In the past week and a bit since I first made it, I've eaten it at least six times. It is an amazing sandwich. Now I know sandwiches are not really considered recipes, but I had to share this one as it is absolutely amazing. It is very simple, and does require a little more effort than a good old PB&J, but the taste definitely makes up for the extra few minutes you spend making it.


In saying that it takes time, it probably takes around 10 minutes total to whip this up. You probably have most of the ingredients already, if not all. I got the idea for this sandwich when I bought this amazing Raspberry Caramalised Balsamic Vinegar and Rocket and Pistachio Pesto two weeks ago. Now obviously any balsamic vinegar (although a caramelised one is better) and pesto work in this recipe, but for those who were interested in exactly what I used, these were the products I used. I got them from the Eumundi markets but I also found them at Montville in the Fudgy Boombah shop. These are both places in Queensland (both gorgeous places) so fellow QLDers probably know where I'm talking about if they are interested in getting the products.


What you need:

2 tsp Butter
¼ cup mushrooms, sliced
3 small slices haloumi
2 slices sourdough bread
1 tbsp pesto (I used Rocket and Pistachio Pesto)
½ tomato, slice thinly
½ tsp lemon juice
1 tsp basil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar (preferably caramelised vinegar – I used Raspberry Caramelised Balsamic Vinegar)
Pinch of salt


What to do:

Heat the butter in a frypan over medium heat. Fry the mushrooms and the haloumi in the butter (with salt if desired) until the mushrooms are browned and soft and the haloumi is browned and has a crunchy outside.

Spread the pesto over one slice of bread. Add the sliced tomatoes. Cover the tomatoes with the lemon juice and basil.

Top the tomatoes with the fried mushrooms and haloumi. Add the salt and balsamic vinegar.

Place the remaining slice of bread over the top to make a sandwich. Cut in half and serve warm. I serve mine with a mixed potato hash, which is an absolutely delicious side to this sandwich. 


4 comments:

  1. This sandwich looks incredible and it incorporates everything I love. I actually eat lots of haloumi in the summer so I can already see myself inhaling this sandwich once the weather permits BBQs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, I love haloumi. And I know - it's like every good food is here. You should definitely give it a go :)

      Delete
  2. I can imagine how delicious that would taste. Basically all my favourite foods in a sandwich. I love the sound of that balsamic dressing - I really want to try making a balsamic reduction, I think it would be perfect in your sandwich :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious! It's all of my favourite foods (including bread) so I love it. I think a balsamic reduction would be amazing with this!

      Delete