Wednesday 14 March 2012

Banana Choc Chip Muffins

I swear, these muffins are amazing.


They are super easy, take about 10 minutes to cook, and are absolutely amazing. When they are warm from the oven, the chocolate melts into your mouth. The banana flavour is strong, but does not overpower the chocolate. Together, the taste is spectacular. I absolutely swear by these muffins. I could eat the entire batch straight from the oven. You do have to wait for the bananas to ripen completely, which is always hard after you've tried these and know what to expect when they come out of the oven. However, these muffins are worth the wait.They're also rather healthy - for a muffin.

They can be frozen and simply left in the fridge until you want to eat them. You can always reheat them, but I find they sink a little and are not as pretty. They also become a little soft, and not firm like a muffin should be. The taste - not remotely affected.

Another great thing - they are so easy to bake! All you have to do is combine the ingrediants, throw it in a muffin tray, bake for 10 minutes and you're done!


Level of Difficulty: Easy
Average Cost: $
Main Ingredients: Banana and Chocolate
Occasion: Dessert or Snack
Menu Options: These are beautiful. You can put them with anything really – great in a kid’s lunchbox, or as an afternoon snack or even as a cheeky breakfast treat with a granola parfait (who am I kidding, that’s what I do).


Makes 12 muffins.

You will need:
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
-1/3 cup caster sugar
- 60g butter
- 2/3 cup mashed banana (2 bananas - best that they be very ripe, even a little brown won't hurt)
- 1/2 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (depends on your taste) – this can be increased to 2/3 cup if you love chocolate, but the nutrition facts will change.
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk

-          Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Grease a 12 holed muffin tray.
-          Sift flour into large bowl. Add in sugar and butter. Using fingertips, crumble butter with dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
-          Stir in the remaining ingredients. Be careful not to overmix; the batter should be wet looking but thick.
-          Pour the batter into the muffin holes. Be careful not to pour too much batter into each muffin hole, the muffins rise quite high. Cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into a muffin is clean.

I should note that this lovely recipe was my mum’s, and it was one of the first recipes I learnt as soon I left home as it was the one thing I couldn’t live without. If this recipe is from somewhere other than my mum, I give them whole credit for it. 

On another note, yesterday I received some amazing news. Next month I start an internship at a radio station, where I not only get to write the news but read it on air as well! I've only been studying journalism at university for three weeks, so this is amazing for me. I have already done a year of university, but it was a double degree in law and creative writing - I know, I know, my degree is very different to what I did last year. I just didn't want to be a lawyer; I want to be a writer. That was what made me change my degree, and honestly, it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.


And speaking of good decisions, it would be an excellent one to go make these muffins now.



0 comments:

Post a Comment