Saturday 17 March 2012

Irish Soda Bread

Happy St Patrick's Day everyone!

It's been a bit of a miserable day here, not really conducive to having fun. I am wearing my Boston Celtics shirt, which is green, so I am attempting to. I have spent the entire day writing an essay for uni, so I am totally exhausted. However, I did manage to make Irish Soda Bread, purely because I wanted to make something Irish, and I really didn't want to do anything too difficult.


Level of Difficulty: Easy
Average Cost: $
Main Ingredients: Flour
Occasion: Snack, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Menu Options: This bread would be amazing with soup or stew for dinner, or with fresh vegetables or a salad for lunch. Or you could use the leftovers to make a healthy ricotta, banana and strawberry breakfast treat.  

Adapted from: Gina’s Low Fat Irish Soda Bread (who am I kidding, it’s pretty much her recipe)

You will need:
-          1 1/2 cups self raising white flour
-          2 cups whole wheat flour
-          1 1/2 - 2 tsp baking soda
-          1/2 tsp salt
-          1 1/2 – 1 3/4 cups buttermilk


-          Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
-          Mix the dry ingredients together with a wooden spoon in a large bowl.
-          Add the buttermilk bit by bit, stirring together until a wet, shaggy dough has formed.
-          On a floured surface, knead the dough for a couple of minutes. It should be smooth, but be careful not to overknead.
-          Place on a baking tray, either oiled or covered in baking paper, in the form of a ball.
-          Using a sharp knife, cut an ‘x’ into the top of the bread.
-          Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. The bread should sound hollow when the base is tapped or a skewer inserted into the bread should be clean.
-          Best to serve when hot, but can be frozen. 


This bread is absolutely beautiful. My roomates loved it too, so we all enjoyed this lovely bread with dinner. My St Patrick's day was rather boring, but I hope you all have a beautiful, much more enjoyable day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment