Saturday 10 March 2012

Picnic Time - Potato Salad

Today was beautiful. It was sunny, for the first time in ages, and really hot. So my roomates and I had a picnic. We live right next to this massive shopping centre and on the other side, if you walk through a bit of a forest-type-thing, you get to the most beautiful little park. Sometimes I just love Australia.


As the park was full of families (there is this massive wooden house masquerading as a playground - enough to make anyone too old to fit down the slide jealous) we simply sat under a tree and ate like crazy. There was potato salad with egg (because really, what picnic doesn't have potato salad and some form of egg), chicken salad with berries, caramalised walnuts and a lime and mayo dressing (which is actually amazing), homemade bread and chocolate and banana muffins (which I will post up soon).

The other reason why my day was brilliant (other than the food) was that for the first time ever I made bread with yeast. It was a horrifying experience, but it turned out ok. I made English Muffin Bread, but I may make a few changes to the recipe I followed because I wasn't completely happy with mine (didn't quite rise, a bit too moist, etc). But overall, rather successful.


See how happy I am?


The bread really was quite golden!

So, now for the recipe -

Super Easy Potato Salad:

Level of Difficulty: Easy
Average Cost: $
Main Ingredients: Potato, Egg
Occasion:Lunch or for a picnic
Menu Options: Is great with anything chicken related or bread. Absolutely fantastic actually.


There is no real way to measure how many people this serves - it depends on how much potato you cook and how many eggs you put in. It's so flexible, and so easy. But I'd approximate and say this would serve four.

I did honestly try and do a calorie count, but perhaps the brand of dressing I use is Australian-only and it was difficult to find nutritional values for. I can say that it is a low-fat brand, and so amazingly delicious - it doesn't taste like mayonnaise (which I hate), but instead you can taste subtle flavours of onion, barley and vinegar. It truly is beautiful. If you have access to this dressing, I truly do suggest you buy some.

You will need:
- 3 or 4 potatoes, depending on size
- 3 tbs ETA brand 'Original Potato Salad Dressing'
- 3 eggs

- Peel and cut potatoes into cubes.
- Boil in salt water until tender, but do not overcook. For me, on high heat, this was about 7 or 8 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, boil the eggs.
- While hot, combine the potato with the egg (diced into quarters) and the dressing. Mix well.

This is such an easy recipe, and I swear it easily the most delicious potato salad recipe I have found, particularly if you, like me, don't particularly like mayonnaise or similar flavoured dressings.


Now, the Lion King is on TV and I feel like reliving my childhood with my roomates. I am also in the process of baking apple loaf harvast bread, by the fabulous and brilliant Kamran and I need to go check on its progress. I hope you all have a fantastic weekend.
Cheers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment