Monday 19 March 2012

Homemade Granola and Parfait

Hello all,

I hope you had a brilliant weekend. Mine was rather easygoing; I did some uni work, some baking and finally got around to making the homemade granola again so that the recipe was ok for you guys to see. I had an induction for my internship at the radio station, which was a lot of fun. I start in less than two weeks, so the nerves will start kicking in soon. I've also gone a little crazy planning parties I'm not actually throwing - Hunger-games themed, Willa Wonka themed, cocktails and canapes, picnic-on-a-balcony, a birthday party for my roomate (which I will do when it gets to her birthday - in May - I already have the perfect gift, cake and some ideas for food in mind), tea parties, etc.

I'm also really looking forward to Easter. This will be my first Easter without my family - even though I moved 22 hours away from them last year I flew home for the break. This time, I can't afford it and it's only for a few days, so I decided I would instead go visit my grandparents who live near me and who I rarely see. My mum is flying down the week after Easter for three days, which will be so much fun. So this will be my first Easter without my family from home - my grandparents, mum's sister and husband and kids, my parents and my brother - we're all so close it's like we're not even an extended family, but a real one. So, I have an easter dinner planned for me and my roomates, and I'm hoping my beautiful grandmother who I will be spending Easter with will cook with me - she is Dutch, and so she bakes beautifully. Mind you, my Italian grandmother from home, also bakes beautifully. So does my mum - I hope I inherited it!

So, about that granola.

Level of Difficulty: Easy
Average Cost: $
Main Ingredients: oats, honey, coconut
Occasion: Breakfast, Snack
Menu Options: I usually have a granola parfait for Saturday or Sunday breakfast, but I love granola and yoghurt as a snack in the afternoon. I also love apple slices, coated in peanut butter and topped with granola as a healthy snack. 


What you will need:
-          2/3 cups flaked almonds
-          1/2 cup walnuts
-          1/4 cup sunflower seeds
-          2 tbs sesame seeds
-          1/4 cup olive/canola oil
-          3/4 cup honey (more if needed)
-          3 cups oats
-          1/4 tsp salt
-          1/4 cup coconut
-          1/2 tsp cinnamon
-          1/2 tsp nutmeg
-          1/2 cup raisins
-          1/2 cup dried apricots

What to do:
-          Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
-          Toast almonds and walnuts in skillet until fragrant and darkened – on high heat about 6 minutes. Add seeds and toast for 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn the nuts, as they will be cooked for longer later on.
-          Melt honey and oil together over low heat, being careful not to let it burn.
-          Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl until coated, included toasted nuts and seeds. Add in melted honey mix, until the dry ingredients are coated. If necessary, add more honey to ensure everything is coated.
-          Spread mixture on a baking tray covered in baking paper. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until oats are a golden brown. Stir the mixture so the white oats from the bottom of the tray are at the top. Add in raisins and apricot. Bake another 8-10 mins, until oats are golden brown.
-          Let cool completely and then store. Some of the granola will be in clumps, some will not be. 


This recipe is not only super easy, but tastes fantastic, and it has no added sugars or chemicals like the granola found in supermarkets. It's so much better when it's homemade. That is my favourite bit about this - I can eat it, and actually know that what I am eating is good for me. I hope you all enjoy it - it is such an easy, delicious recipe.

To make the granola parfait:
- Simply chose a glass - any will do, I was lazy and went for a water one, but if you're serving this at brunch I would opt for a prettier wine or cocktail glass.
- Place a dollop of yoghurt in the bottom of each glass (whatever yoghurt you like is fine - I love natural greek yoghurt).
- Put 2-3 tbs of granola over the top, making sure to completely cover the yoghurt.
- Cover granola with berries - strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.
- Repeat the last three steps - yoghurt, granola, berries and garnish with fresh mint, or more granola and honey. 

Again - so easy, and so beautiful. I hope you enjoy this deliciously healthy breakfast!

0 comments:

Post a Comment